New York Fashion Week has wrapped up and there is an endless array of topics to discuss! For now though let’s take a look at the varied brow looks spotted on the runway. We all know how brows can truly transform and frame the face. This year we saw graphic, drawn on shapes at Thom Browne, full and natural at Michael Korrs, and lightened barely there brows at Victor Alfaro. It is quite exciting to see all of the innovative ideas that come out of every show and how even the smallest of details help to create the ultimate vision. Continue reading
It’s a S H O R E Shot…
Bumble and bumble.’s Inspiration
Surf Spray is a Bumble and bumble icon and the unsurpassed original for creating sexy, beachy looks – even if you’re miles from shore (which is why Bb.Stylists love it). Since 2001, the Surf Spray finish – matte, full, gritty – has set the standard for windswept styles.
And now, Bumble and bumble revamps the sea-breezy trend with Surf Infusion – which gives hair a softer, shinier, more touchable feel. This oil-and-salt-infused bi-phase spray conditions hair with a tropical mix of coconut, mango seed, passion fruit and palm oils – just the thing for dry to coarse hair types. Our signature blend of sea salt and minerals creates waves and builds volume for that classically Surf, just-went-for-a-dip style you love.
We get massages for many different reasons. Relaxation, stress relief, pain relief/management, or to simply take time for yourself. Massage has been proven to help release harmful toxins that build up in the body, reduce stress and help relieve pain in the body, lower blood pressure and increase circulation. There are several different types of massages offered out there. So what type will be most beneficial for your needs and wants? Let’s discuss the different types and the benefits of each. The most common massages offered are Swedish, Deep Tissue, Hot Stone, and Thai Massage.
Swedish Massage- Is the most common massage performed. This specific technique allows for whole body relaxation with long gentle strokes from your therapist. Swedish Massage is beneficial for increasing the level of oxygen in the blood, decreasing muscle toxins, improving circulation and flexibility while easing tension. If you are in need of relaxation and slight tension relief this technique would best suit your needs.
Deep Tissue- Deep tissue massage is a type of massage therapy that focuses on realigning deeper layers of muscles and connective tissue. It is especially helpful for chronic aches and pains and contracted areas such as stiff neck and upper back, low back pain, leg muscle tightness, and sore shoulders. Some people say Deep Tissue is painful..but in a good way! You may experience some soreness a day or two after your massage. This is why drinking plenty of water and doing light stretches are very important after getting this type of treatment.
Hot Stone- Using hot stones during a massage are absolutely wonderful. The heat from the stones give immediate release of tension in the muscles. Therapist will use hot stones as an added benefit to either Swedish or Deep Tissue massage techniques. The localized placement of heat on a particular area increases circulation of fluids, and can assist in alleviating organ congestion and may even dissolve masses.
Thai Massage- Thai massage is a somewhat different approach to body relaxation and healing from other types. This massage is performed on a thick mat placed on the floor. The therapist will manipulate your body into light to moderate yoga like poses. Thai massage helps to reduce the individual’s stress levels and improve their overall circulation. This is accomplished by the gradual movement of the yoga-like positions. This will enhance the persons’ flexibility allowing for a greater range of motion.
Let me start by saying I am a huge fan of CND Shellac power polish! No it’s NOT a gel. It is simply a formulation that works with UV rays to cure the polish. Allowing it to last up to 14 days without chipping. The best part is the polish is completely dry when you are finished!
All “Shellac” polishes are NOT created equal! There are some brands that do use a small amount of gel, which is heavy and makes the polish more difficult to remove. This can cause damage to the nail bed.
- “The UV light causes cancer”- Ok so yes there is a very small amount of UV rays put off by the light…36 watts to be exact. However this is such a small amount that is not anymore UV rays than you would get while driving in your car. A good compromise is put a little SPF on the tops of your hands before you have your manicure!
- “The polish damages your nails”- Remember I said all brands are not created equal….well this is why. CND Shellac does not have any actual gel in the product. Making it a breeze to remove! The removal process can damage your nails if not done properly.
- 1. DO NOT peel the polish from your nails
- 2. Make sure your nail tech uses CND Shellac Nourishing Remover (acetone tends to be too drying)
- 3. Make sure to not over buff your nails….this can cause unnecessary thinning of the nail.
Did you know…..
- You should use a good cuticle oil every night before you go to bed. The oil will penetrate deeper than any cream will and will keep your natural nail nice and hydrated.
- You can layer different colors of Shellac to make your own personalized color! For instance you could layer Satin Pajamas with Gold VIP over it. This makes a beautiful natural color with just a hint of shimmer! Ask your nail technician for other layering ideas.
Shellac is a wonderful product to hit the nail spa industry and has taken manicures to a whole new level. There is zero need to have heavy acrylics anymore. If you take care of your nails in between visits your nails will be in the best shape ever. Enjoy!
***Never had a Shellac Manicure? We offer our Essential Shellac Mani for $40 and our Express Shellac Mani for $30! Mention you saw this post and get the Shellac polish complimentary…a $15 value!
By now you are in full swing of Holiday shopping and getting ready to give those gifts to all your friends and loved ones. We have some fun “Gift Giving” ideas to spice up the routine of giving gifts. The economy crash has forced us to bring some things back to basics. Which in my opinion is not too shabby. We have tapped into our inner creativity and have brought the term “do it yourself”/DIY to a whole new level! Here are a few inexpensive ideas to enhance that already perfect gift….
1. One of the best/most inexpensive ideas is saving your paper bags from the grocery store and using as wrapping paper. Just cut to size and flip over to plain side and wrap. The best part is you can find anything around the house to embellish the wrap.
- Pine cones
- Lace or Paper doilies
- String or Ribbon
2. Used toilet paper rolls make great small gift packaging! Who would have thought right? Just fold one end of roll half and half, place gift inside and the fold other end. Then get creative with paint, ribbon or stamps to embellish your gift.
3. Use old maps to wrap your gifts. This is a great inexpensive way to make a good gift great! You wont need much embellishment with this one. Let the map speak for itself. Maybe even use a map of that person’s home town or favorite vacation spot.
4. Here is an interesting one….Use an old sweater as fabric to wrap or as an embellishment. You can also use the sleeve of the sweater as a wine sweater if your giving bottles as gifts (this requires minimal sewing).
Happy gift giving! May you have a cheerful Holiday Season!
Yes! It is that time of year again when we reflect on the past year and decide what we can do to better ourselves for the new year ahead. We have a few EASY beauty resolutions that will bring you much joy….and better hair, skin and nails!
1. Wash your face EVERY single night before you go to bed – Did you know when you are in REM sleep your pores open to their largest capacity. That means whatever you have on your skin will go very deep into your pores. SO lets make sure it’s something good.
2. Invest in a better skin care line – You will truly see a difference in over the counter drug store products and a professional line. Yes it can be a little pricey. But start with a good cleanser and moisturizer. Then add in the other important items like exfoliator, mask and toner. At the very least DO NOT buy a moisturizer without SPF!
3. Put down bad habits like smoking and excessive drinking – Both smoking and drinking in excessive amounts dehydrate your skin. Thus the reason heavy smokers and drinkers have more wrinkles. Let’s face it who wants to accelerate the aging process.
4. Use Cuticle oil every night – By simply applying cuticle oil (I suggest CND solar oil) to your cuticles every night before you go to bed can change everything about your nails. The oil will soak deep into the pores of your cuticles which will hydrate not only the cracked skin around your nails But will hydrate your nail beds themselves. This will promote stronger, healthier nails and will keep your polish from chipping sooner.
5. Keep up with regular hair trims AND Deep Conditioning Treatments – Yes we must pay for all our hair “sins”. Using the blow dryer, flat iron and curling iron on a regular basis causes stress on the hair. So do yourself and your hair a favor and keep up with your trims and deep conditioning treatments. This will insure healthy looking hair…always.
6. Get your beauty sleep – Yep we really need at least 6 hours of uninterrupted sleep to keep our minds functioning as it should. In a perfect world we should really have 8-10 hours of sleep. Make time for yourself and do not over extend your schedule. You will feel so much better if you get the rest you need.
Happy Holiday’s!! Here’s to a New Year filled with beauty….from the inside and out.
The Holiday’s are officially upon us. That means a great deal of parties. It’s a time of year we can dress up a little and celebrate good tidings with our friends and family. We have put together a few easy hair styles that will accentuate your fashionably festive duds! We even picked a few that you could wear to those oh so jolly tacky sweater parties.
1. Shiny Big Curls- Blow dry your hair with a large round brush using a nice styling cream and shine serum. Then use a large barrel curling iron to set curls. Use big sections to achieve the loose elegant look.
2. Half Up- Take a large barrel curling iron and curl big sections of your hair. Use a good dry shampoo and spray at root and slightly backcomb hair (tease) to achieve some good volume. Take a few bobby pins and pin the front top section of hair. Spray allover with a good medium hold hairspray.
3. Side Swept Braid- Spray hair at root and ends with dry shampoo and slightly backcomb (tease) to give hair allover volume. Take hair to one side and make 3 big sections-braid. Fasten with small clear or hair colored rubber band. You can pull out some pieces around face and curl with a large barrel iron.
4. Elegant Side Swept Pony- Curl hair allover with large curling iron. Spray with a good medium hold hair spray. Loosely pull hair to one side and use a fun clip or embellished pony tail holder to finish look.
And here are a few fun ideas for those Tacky Sweater parties!!…..
It’s that time of year again…..travel, travel, travel to see all the family you can on your Holiday vacation. We know traveling can be tough so here is a list of our top 5 must have beauty products … Continue reading
Bangs have made their appearance back in the hair-fashion industry the past year. No we aren’t talking 80’s super poof rock rock an roll bangs (although you never know if they could re-appear). Bangs have been taken to whole new level of freshness. You can make an instant style statement with a new fringe. But will you go for blunt-cut bangs, side-swept locks or a peek-a-boo fringe? Take a peek at some of our 2014 Bang picks.
Maintaining healthy hair ultimately starts from inside. While good hair products are important, no luxury product in the world can make up for the strains on the hair caused by internal factors such as poor nutrition, lack of sleep, and hormonal imbalances. There are certain nutrients that are essential to hair production and health of the scalp. Without them, strong, healthy hair will be impossible. Due to the natural cycles of the hair, we all shed a certain amount everyday and we need these nutrients to grow more to replace it. Here are some foods that contain these key nutrients:
- Salmon: This delicious fish is rich in Protein, which makes up 97% of the hair strand. It is also a great source of Omega 3’s, which are needed to grow hair and help keep the scalp healthy and hydrated.
- Walnuts: Walnuts are the only nut containing Omega 3’ They are also a source of Biotin, a lack of which can cause hair loss. As an added bonus, they contain Copper which enhances natural hair color.
- Oysters: Another source of Protein, oysters also contain Zinc, which can also help prevent hair loss.
- Sweet Potatoes/ Carrots/ Cantaloupe/ Pumpkin: What we’re after with these orange hued foods is Beta-Carotin. It keeps the scalp healthy and hydrated.
- Eggs: Eggs contain lots of protein along with Zinc. It is also a source of Iron, which carries oxygen to the hair follicles. Too little iron can lead to hair loss, especially in women.
- Spinach (and other dark green vegetables): A good source of Iron and Folate, as well as Vitamin C, which contributes to health of the hair follicles and production of scalp oils.
- Lentils: This superfood contains Protein, Iron, Zinc, and Biotin.
- Greek Yogurt: A great choice for a quick snack, greek yogurt is an amazing non-meat source of Protein, and also contains Vitamin B5 and Vitamin D, which contribute to hair and follicle health. Cheese is another source of these nutrients, but watch the fat content.
- Blueberries/ Strawberries/ Tomatoes: These are all heavyweights when it comes to Vitamin C, which facilitates blood flow to the scalp and follicles. Too little Vitamin C can also contribute to breakage in the hair.
- Poultry: Lean meats such as chicken and turkey contain Protein, Zinc, Iron, and B vitamins, all of which are vital to strong, healthy hair.
So . . bon apetit! Having amazing hair can be a great reason to boost your standard of eating. And you will most likely see positive changes in your body and skin as well!